I have never been a breakfast person. I don’t like cereal, I’m not a toast fan and porridge often gives me stomach cramps as it sits too heavy. I have tried it in many forms with many different milk products but I always have the same cramps. For some reason granola doesn’t do this. I have become a huge fan of a bowl of granola, yogurt and fruit in the morning. I am not hugely keen on the shop bought granola so now I make my own.
700g Rolled Oats
100g Flaked Almonds
50g Chia Seeds
200mls Maple Syrup
100mls Olive Oil
1tsp Ground Cinnamon
1tsp Vanilla Paste (or 2tsps vanilla extract)
50g Raisins (or other dried fruit of choice! cranberries work well)
- Preheat the oven to 180 oC
- Line a baking tray with grease proof paper
- Put all the ingredients in a large bowl minus the dried fruit and mix well.
- Put on the baking tray and cook for 40 minutes or until golden and crispy.
- Remove from the oven every 10 minutes and mix around. This ensures it all cooks evenly and doesn’t burn.
- Leave to cool then add the dried fruit.
- Put in an airtight container.
I serve this with yogurt and fruit but for a vegan alternative swap the yogurt for almond or coconut milk.
This recipe also works well with sunflower and pumpkin seeds. It’s all about getting it right for your personal taste.
This will last in an airtight container in the cupboard for a good ten days perhaps more (there has never been any left by this point).