Winter is approaching fast and the temperature is certainly dropping. Each year my Mother in Law hosts Christmas for us and she always asks for some cocktail inspiration. Normally we have a Snowball for our Christmas Day cocktail but this year we are going to be trying something different… I’m just not sure what yet. As the weather is getting colder it is the perfect time for me to start getting out my usual host of cocktails I save specifically for this time of year.
Winter Jack Apple Pie
50mls Winter Jack Daniels
150mls Cloudy Apple Juice
Pinch of Ground Nutmeg
Pinch of Ground Ginger
1 Cinnamon Stick
- Heat up the apple juice and spices in a saucepan until boiling.
- Simmer for a couple of minutes
- Put the Winter Jack in a cup or heat resistant glass.
- Add the hot apple juice and stir.
I actually detest Jack Daniels but the Winter Jack tastes like apple pie in a glass. Hubby and I discovered it last year at the Christmas Markets in Vienna, when we came home it was the first thing we bought so we could make it ourselves.
Frozen Pomegranate Margarita
25mls Triple Sec
50mls Pomegranate Juice
- Put crushed ice and all the ingredients into a blender.
- Blend until smooth and looks like a Slush Puppy (Adults only!)
- Pour into a glass.
Alternatively if you would prefer a traditional Margarita:
- Fill a cocktail shaker with ice.
- Add all the ingredients and shake well.
- Pour some salt onto a flat plate.
- Wet the edge of the glass (I use a lime or orange wedge for this) and dip into the salt.
- Strain into a glass.
You can’t line the glass with salt if you make a frozen margarita because salt melts ice…. It’s a science this cocktail malarkey!
1 Bottle of Red Wine
1 Cinnamon Stick
- Add everything to a saucepan and slowly bring to a simmer.
- Serve once hot enough, this makes 3 servings.
I haven’t added exact amounts of spices as it hugely depends on your personal taste. I don’t add cloves to my Mulled Wine, even though it is traditional to do so, because I really don’t like them and find them an over powering flavour.
25mls Vanilla Vodka
- Fill a glass with ice
- Add all the ingredients
- Stir well
All of these serve 1 with the exception of the Mulled Wine.
Didn’t I do well not to add a gin one in?!